Certificate of Eligibility

You can obtain a visa faster if you submit a Certificate of Eligibility to the Japanese embassy or consulate. Since this document is issued by the Japanese immigration bureau (in Japan), in order to obtain it you must apply by proxy and have the certificate sent to you in your home country. (You can not apply for the Certificate of Eligibility from overseas, and they do not accept an application by post.)

  • An employee of the institution which provides you with a scholarship or which covers your school and accommodation expenses.
  • A person who covers your school and accommodation expenses.
  • A relative living in Japan (A "friend" is not acceptable.)
  • Other person recognized by the Ministry of Justice (public notary, etc.)

In the case that you have no relatives, etc. in Japan and you wish to request our university to act as your proxy in respect to the Certificate of Eligibility, you should consult with the Division of Student Exchange if you are applying for a research student. If you are applying as a regular degree student, please, consult with the program you wish to enter. (Please understand that there may be cases when we can not accept your request.)

From application to issuance, assuming there are no problems, the application takes about one to two months. As the immigration bureau is responsible for inspecting and issuing this document, we are unable to tell you exactly when the Certificate of Eligibility will be issued.