Before Arrival

Resident Overseas

  1. Obtain your passport at a government office in your country.
  2. Apply for and received a Certificate of Eligibility from the immigration bureau in Japan.
  3. Obtain a "Student" visa at a Japanese embassy or consulate in your country.

Resident in Japan

If you are already living in Japan, you may need to change your visa status from your current visa status.

  1. Receive the Certificate of Permission for Granting Entrance Formalities or the Notice of Successful Results
  2. Bring both documents to an immigration bureau
  3. Apply for changing your status in person

This has to be done 2 months before the expiration date of your current visa.

Please note that if at that point in time you have not completed your entrance procedures because you have not paid admission and tuition fees, the immigration bureau may accept your application, but it will be deemed "in process". When you complete the entrance procedures, please obtain a Certificate of Admission from the university staff, and submit it to the immigration bureau. After doing this step, you can finally complete the procedures for changing your visa status. For more detailed information, please contact the nearest regional immigration bureau.


  • Address: 5-5-30 Konan, Minato-ku,Tokyo-to, 108-0075
  • Tel: +81-3-5796-7111/ (Information Center: +81-3-5796-7112)
  • Application Services: Monday to Friday (closed on holidays)
  • Hours (for renewal, change of status, etc): 9:00-12:00 and 13:00-16:00
  • Hours (for initial application): 9:00-13:00 and 13:00-15:30


  • Address: No. 3 Prince Bldg., 1st Floor, 2-9-12 Jonan, Mito-shi, Ibaraki
  • Tel: +81-29-300-3601
  • Please note that there are no parking facilities available near the Immigration Office, so please use the train or bus.

For addresses and telephone numbers of other regional immigration bureaus, please refer to the Immigration Bureau website.