The Bonn Office was established in December 2009 in the Headquarters of the German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD) located in Bonn, the former capital of West Germany and currently considered as the “academic capital city” since several organizations for research, innovation and higher education such as the German Federal Ministry of Education and Research, German Research Foundation (DFG), Alexander von Humboldt Foundation, German Rector’s Conference, and the DAAD are all clustered here. From October 2014, the Bonn Office has moved to its new home which is shared with JSPS and the Deutsches Museum Bonn.
Our mission is to promote academic and student exchanges with Germany and other European countries. In particular, the Bonn Office engages in the following activities:
- Promotion of partnership programs between the University of Tsukuba and DAAD
- Support of student exchanges by holding pre-departure orientations with our German partner universities
- Promotion and support of the TEACH (Transnational European and East Asian Culture and History) Program, the tri-national Master’s degree program between the Universities of Tsukuba, Bonn, and Korea University
- Support of symposia and workshops organized by the University of Tsukuba in Germany and other European countries
- Participation in “Study in Japan Fairs” held in Europe
- Emergency assistance for exchange students from the University of Tsukuba by local staff