On June 25, 2017 (Sunday), the Nippon Foundation held the Japan-Kazakhstan Friendship and Cooperation Forum at the Rixos Hotel in Almaty, Kazakhstan. For over ten years, the Nippon Foundation has supported scholarships for students from Central Asia to study in Turkey. In the future, the Nippon Foundation will focus its activities on Central Asia and hope to increase the number of supporters of Japanese language and culture in Central Asia. The forum was held as a starting point. In addition to former international students who received scholarships from the Nippon Foundation, participants also included Japanese language teachers and those working for various Japanese-related organizations.
Following the opening remarks by H.E. Mr. Ichiro Kawabata, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Japan to the Republic of Kazakhstan, presentations were given by the following officials and representatives:
(1) Mr. Yuji Mori, Executive Director, The Nippon Foundation
(2) Ms. Kyoko Vrboski, Chairperson, Japan Central Asia Friendship Association
(3) Mr. Nurlan Dulatbekov, Member of Mazhilis (Lower House) of the Parliament of Kazakhstan
(4) Mr. Dimitriy Voyakin, Secretary-General of the National World Heritage Committee of the Republic of Kazakhstan, Head of Department of Documentation and Archaeological Conservation of the Institute of Archaeology MES RK.
(5) Ms. Nazigul Shaimardanova, Researcher, Institute of Oriental Studies named after R. Suleimenov
(6) Ms. Railya Sarzhanova, Director, Japanese Language Teacher Association in Kazakhstan
(7) Mr. Takashi Ninomiya, Japanese language teacher in Al Farabi Kazakh National University, University of Tsukuba
(8) Ms. Zhanar Orazgaliyeva, Director, Kazakhstan-Japan Center for Human Development
(9) Ms. Larissa Tyan, Co-founder, Ichikawa Japanese Language School / Yaponskiy Dom
(10) Mr. Yerlan Akhapov, Ph.D. (Global Environmental Studies, Kyoto University), Assistant Professor at Far East Studies Department, Al-Farabi Kazakh National University
Mr. Takashi Ninomiya, Japanese language teacher in Al Farabi Kazakh National University and Coordinator of the University of Tsukuba’s Almaty Office gave an overview of our university and presented activities of the Almaty Office.