What courses are available?

We have a wide range of courses available in English at Undergraduate, Masters, and Doctoral levels. We also have summer programs and exchange programs available.

I was born outside of Japan but have Japanese citizenship. Can I still apply for English programs?

Unfortunately, we can only accept students who have a non-Japanese nationality to our international programs. This includes dual-nationals who are welcome to apply.

I am a Japanese student, who attended an IB school in Japan. Can I enter the English program?

Unfortunately, it wouldn't be possible for you to directly enter our English programs.

However, we now have a new route for Japanese students who have graduated from IB schools to enter our degree programs taught in Japanese.  Please see our admissions center website for more details.

As a Tsukuba student, you would then be able to take some classes taught in English although the majority of your courses would be in Japanese.

Is there any financial aid available?

The University of Tsukuba established the Tsukuba Scholarship specifically for international students in our English programs. Approximately, five students in Social Sciences and eight students in the Life and Environmental Sciences will receive this scholarship in their first year. There are also second, third, and fourth year versions of the Tsukuba Scholarship.

There are also many scholarships available from outside organizations like the Japanese government, foundations, and companies. We strongly encourage all students to apply for these scholarships in their second and subsequent years. International students in our English programs will be exempt from admission and tuition fees in their first year and are able to apply for tuition exemptions in the following years. Most students are able to receive some form of financial aid, in the form of scholarships or tuition fee waivers in each year of their degree. Please feel free to contact us; if you require the university's help to access financial aid available from your own country. You can find more financial information in our Finance section

Can Japanese students take classes in the English program?

With the exception of a few classes, Japanese students are welcome to join English classes. In addition, there are many sports and cultural clubs and campus events that facilitate cultural exchange among Japanese and international students including opportunities to improve your Japanese language skills.

Can I take classes conducted in Japanese? Can I transfer to another college in the University outside the English programs?

Yes, both are possible. If you have sufficient Japanese language ability, you are welcome to take classes outside of the English program. To transfer to a different college within the university, you must fulfill all requirements set by the college you wish to transfer to.

Are students in the English Course Program able to become exchange students at one of Tsukuba's overseas partner universities?

The University of Tsukuba maintains agreements with over 260 universities and educational institutions around the world. If international students can fulfill all necessary requirements, they can become exchange students at these institutions.

I'd like to become a doctor and am interested in your Medical Science program. Is this the right course for me?

Graduates from our Medical Science course will be trained to be medical researchers rather than medical professionals like doctors or nurses. Unfortunately, no university in Japan currently offers a medical degree in English. Please note that Medical Science applicants must have two years of experience in a comparable program from another university before transferring to Tsukuba's Medical Science program.

I want to become a lawyer; is your Social Sciences program right for me?

Our Social Sciences program offers some courses explaining aspects of Japanese and International law in English. However, this isn't a law degree. Our social science program develops graduates with a broad understanding of how human societies work, how companies do business across international boundaries, and how nations cooperate and compete in an increasingly globalized world. Unfortunately, currently, no university in Japan currently offers a law degree in English.

What can graduates of Tsukuba's English programs expect after they graduate?

There are many options for graduates of our English programs. Many students continue their studies in our graduate schools while others have found employment at companies within Japan. If you are interested in working in Japan, please note that Japanese language ability is usually required for jobs in Japan so you should focus on studying the language while in university. Some students also return to their home countries for employment or continued studies.

Are there any students from my country?

Quite possibly. We currently have approximately 170 students from 44 countries in the undergraduate program, and there are students from approximately 100 countries in the university. While approximately ⅔ of applicants are from Asia, we also have many students from the Americas, Europe, the Middle East, and Africa.

How do undergraduate applications work?

Our applications have two stages. Stage one is a paper-based evaluation. You submit your application documents, transcript, personal statement, etc, and our admissions staff will do an initial screening of your academic ability. Applicants which pass the first screening will be contacted to schedule an individual interview. This interview is conducted via video conferencing (e.g. Skype or similar) and will last 15 - 20 minutes on average. This interview will evaluate your suitability and enthusiasm for the program.

What's the timeline for undergraduate programs?

Students apply in the period between November - January immediately before they wish to enter (i.e. students planning to enter in 2016 will apply during the period Nov 2015 - Jan 2016).
Applicants which pass the first screening will have a brief interview by teleconferencing in February or Early March. A list of successful candidates will be posted in late March.
In April and May, accepted students will complete the registration procedures and apply for their visa.
Students are expected to arrive in Tsukuba in early September, allowing around 3 weeks to settle in, attend various orientations and placement tests, and choose courses, before the start of classes on October 1st.

How can I submit ACT scores / other qualifications?

You should submit your high school transcript as part of your application. If you have additional qualifications, you can submit them as "supplemental materials", and include them with your application.

When are the school holidays throughout the year?

The University of Tsukuba runs on a semester system. The spring semester starts in April and ends in late July. The summer holiday is the whole of August and September. The fall semester then begins in October and lasts until mid-February (with a short winter holiday from the end of December to the beginning of January). The spring holiday then lasts from mid-February until the end of March.

I have never travelled outside of my country and am worried about living abroad. What kind of support is available to international students?

It is perfectly normal to be nervous about moving away from home. We try to make the transition to your new life in Japan as easy as possible. All incoming students are assigned a Japanese speaking tutor that will help you out with anything you need (filling out forms, traveling around Tsukuba, shopping for necessities, etc.). Also, the staff at the International Student Center can help you with anything from academic advice to living concerns. Feel free to stop by!

Does the university have student residences?

Yes! The university has four student dormitory areas and the majority of international students reside there. Every room has basic furniture (bed, desk, and sink) and there are joint-use kitchens, laundry, showers and toilets. The monthly rent is quite low (~¥14,000-¥17,000) compared to an off campus apartment (~¥35,000-¥60,000).

What is the average cost of living in Tsukuba?

Compared to Tokyo, Tsukuba is quite reasonable! Excluding rent, monthly living expenses like food, clothes, and textbooks range from ¥50,000 to ¥80,000.

What if I get sick?

All students are required to join Japan's National Health Insurance Program and are expected to pay around ¥23,200 per year. When visiting a doctor or hospital, you are expected to pay 30% of your medical costs. If you need to have an extended stay in a hospital or have a serious injury, your medical costs are capped at a specific amount per month and are eligible for a refund. We recommend students take supplemental insurance, which costs around ¥40,000 for four years, which will cover all or most of the other costs..

What kind of extracurricular activities are there?

We have over 250 different student groups at the University of Tsukuba in the fields of sports, culture, and arts. From martial arts like kendo and judo to music groups and choirs, we are sure to have a group that will fit your interests. We also have two student festivals, and two sports days through the year.




  1. 学生はmanabaから海外渡航届システムに入力した上で、また、教職員はグローバル・コモンズのサイトから 「海外渡航者基本情報」というファイルをダウンロードして項目を入力した上で、 グローバル・コモンズ機構までメールでご連絡ください。
  2. 受付確認のメールを受信したら、別途海外旅行保険へ加入するとともに、渡航する期間に該当するOSSMA会費の支払いを完了させてください。
  3. 日本エマージェンシーアシスタンスより会員カードが発行されます。会員カードとサービスガイドブックが届いたらメールで連絡しますので、所属のエリア支援室等を通じて受け取ってください。教職員の方には学内便で送付します。
  4. 会員カードに記載されたID(No.)で OSSMA LOCATORへアクセスし、必要項目すべてに記入したら登録が完了します。












OSSMAを運営する日本エマージェンシーアシスタンスの保険デスクで相談対応が可能です。 (電話:03-3811-8303)




受診される医療機関や選択した海外旅行保険によって、キャッシュレス可否は異なりますが、OSSMA HELPLINEに連絡をすればキャッシュレス可能な医療機関が優先的に紹介されます。但し、受診の時間帯、滞在先近郊にキャッシュレス可能な医療機関が無い場合には、立替が必要となります。また、保険の免責(歯科治療、既往症、妊娠等)となる受診は、全額自己負担となります。


EAJ社の保険デスク(03-3811-8303)に直接電話か、メ-ルにてご依頼ください。電話の受付時間は、平日9:30から17:30までです。 ※発行には約1週間かかりますのでご了承ください。


出張等で一定期間に複数回、渡航することが確定している場合はその間の会費を支払うことで、その都度、登録しID発行をする必要はありませんので、お申し込み時にお伝え下さい。。ただし日本への帰国の際には、Itineraryで行き先を「Tokyo(自宅へ戻る)」と入力してください。 また、再度、渡航する際には、その渡航情報を入力してください。


緊急時には会員カードに記載されているIDや連絡先が必要となりますので、必ず携行してください。また、会員IDは緊急時に必要となりますので、メモに控えておいてください。 また、万が一に備え「Emergency Contact Card」を一緒に携行することもおすすめします。






サービスガイドブック中にカ-ドのコピ-が掲載されていますので、その部分を切り取って、携行してください。 サービスを受ける場合、ID番号が必要ですので、記入しておいてください。 なお、再発行を希望される場合には、1,000円(税抜き)の費用が発生します。














英語表示ができるように画面設定されています。また、サ-ビスガイドブック英語版がありますので、必要時にはお申し込み時にお知らせください。OSSMA LOCATORの画面上では、日本語項目の上にカーソルを動かすと英語表記があらわれます。OSSMA専用ヘルプライン(国際電話認識番号+81-3-3811-8286)は、日本語・英語での対応が24時間365日間可能です。





Ask Drは、6ヶ月超の渡航者に限定か?


Ask Us A Question!

Do you have a question that we haven't covered here? Please let us know!

Please visit our "Contact Us" page and fill out the form to get an answer to your question.